Publication Date


Series Number



The inventory and condition survey of rangelands in the Ashburton River catchment, undertaken by the Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia (DAFWA) between 1976 and 1978, describes and maps the natural resources of the region’s pastoral leasehold land. This survey report provides a baseline record of the existence and condition of the natural area’s resources, to assist with the planning and implementation of land management practices. The report identified and described the condition of soils, landforms, vegetation, habitat, ecosystems, and declared plants and animals. It also assessed the impact of pastoralism and made land management recommendations. The area surveyed covers approximately 93 600km² and includes the catchment of the Ashburton River and part of the catchment of the Yannarie River. About 65% (61 130km²) of the area is occupied by 30 pastoral leases. The remaining 35% (32 470km²) consists of reserves of various kinds, and vacant crown land which is unsuitable for pastoral purposes. The worst areas of degredation and erosion are on the most valuable pasture lands. These areas are readily accessible, close to permanent water supplies and support attractive pastures. Therefore, they received preferential overuse in the early days of settlement, and sensitive parts are now seriously degraded.

Number of Pages



Vegetation, Ashburton River region (WA), Land capability, Soil surveys, Western Australia, Soil degradation, Rangelands


Agricultural and Resource Economics | Agricultural Economics | Agricultural Science | Agriculture | Desert Ecology | Environmental Education | Environmental Health | Environmental Indicators and Impact Assessment | Environmental Monitoring | Geology | Geomorphology | Natural Resource Economics | Natural Resources and Conservation | Natural Resources Management and Policy | Physical and Environmental Geography | Soil Science | Sustainability | Systems Biology | Terrestrial and Aquatic Ecology


Maps are not included as part of the complete document download. If this bulletin contains a map, it will be available in the Individual Parts list below.

This file is 12.3 MB. Files over 3MB may be slow to open. For best results, right-click and select "save as..."